VEGANAUARY THEME - VEGAN GREEN CHILLI MAC N CHEESE
Dont shudder at the thought of Man N Cheese -This is not that kind of mac n cheese. This is unprocessed, wholesome, dairy-free goodness for those of us who still crave a bit of our childhood favorites without all the junk.
This particular recipe requires just 10 ingredients (minus the tortilla chips) and 30 minutes! It doesn’t get any easier than that.
The sauce is infused with plenty of flavor thanks to cumin, chili powder and green chilies. Half of the chilies go into the sauce, while the other half get stirred into the final product. The result is oh-so dreamy & each serving has 19 grams of protein!
- 10 ounces large macaroni shells (gluten-free for GF eaters | I used pipe rigate)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours or overnight, then drained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 4-ounce can diced chills (scoop half into the sauce, reserve half for the finished mac n cheese)
- optional: 1 cup tortilla chips, fresh cilantro for toppin
- If topping with tortilla chips, crush chips into fine crumbs and add to a baking pan lined with parchment paper or foil. Spritz with olive or canola oil, sprinkle with salt and stir. Then bake in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Boil macaroni according to package instructions.
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, sautee onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook until soft and fragrant – about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to a blender with remaining ingredients, omitting the tortilla chips and adding only half of the green chilies. Blend until smooth, using the “liquify” setting if you have it to get it really smooth. Otherwise just blend for up to a minute, scraping down sides as necessary, until smooth and creamy.
- Drain the noodles, set aside, and cover (with a towel). To the same pot you boiled the noodles in, add the cashew cheese and cook on low stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
- Add the macaroni noodles to the cheese, along with the remaining green chilies and stir. Serve immediately, topping with crushed toasted tortilla chips and cilantro (optional).
Serving size: 1/4 recipe Calories: 516 Fat: 17g Saturated fat: 3.5g Carbohydrates: 72g Sugar: 4gSodium: 380mg Fiber: 5.6g Protein: 19g