Another Vegan inspired recipe to try at home
A vegan, gluten free 30-minute curry that’s loaded with veggies and swimming in a perfectly-spiced coconut milk broth. Coconut quinoa sends this over the top. Simple, healthy, fast and so delicious.
As this vegetarian/vegan friendly Its served it over coconut quinoa for added protein and fiber. It really marries the dish together well (but completely optional).
The rest of the recipe is basically veggies of your choice and a special mix of spices.
Broccoli, carrot, onion, snow peas and tomato, but you could go with just bell peppers and onion, potatoes, cauliflower, etc. – whatever you wish!
As for the spices keep it simple with curry powder and a pinch of cayenne. But you could also just add a dried red chili for a similar effect. Extra turmeric, cinnamon or cumin would also be lovely.
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (150 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
- 1 Tbsp (6 g) fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
- 1/2 cup (45 g) broccoli florets (or green bell pepper), diced
- 1/2 cup (64 g) diced carrots
- 1/4 cup (45 g) diced tomato
- 1/3 cup (28 g) snow peas (loosely cut)
- 1 Tbsp (8 g) curry powder
- optional: Pinch cayenne or 1 dried red chili, diced (for heat)
- 2 14-ounce (396 g) cans light coconut milk (sub full-fat for richer texture)
- 1 cup (240 ml) veggie stock
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce (396 g) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup (170 g) white quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer*
- optional: 1 Tbsp (15 ml) agave nectar
FOR SERVING optional
- Fresh lemon juice
- Cilantro, mint, and/or basil
- Red pepper flake
- If serving with coconut quinoa, begin by washing thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for 3 minutes. Add 1 can light coconut milk and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light, fluffy and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside until serving.
- In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, broccoli and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cayenne (or chili pepper), veggie stock, coconut milk, another healthy pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the snow peas and tomatoes in the last 5 minutes so they don’t overcook.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added another pinch or two of salt.
- Serve over coconut quinoa (see other options below in notes) and garnish with fresh lemon juice and herbs.
Serving size: 1/4 recipe Calories: 434 Fat: 25.8g Saturated fat: 21g Carbohydrates: 41g Sugar: 7.2gSodium: 628mg Fiber: 6.4g Protein: 10.2g